The Australian Sparkling Wine Show (ASWS) is the only dedicated sparkling wine show in Australia. Our objective is to showcase and provide nationally recognised opportunities and benchmarking for Australia’s sparkling wine producers.
BEST WINE IN SHOW OFF TO CHAMPAGNE!
From our sponsor Grapeworks, this year in 2019, the winner of Best Wine in Show will be awarded a trip to France to attend VITeff, The Sparkling Wine Technology Exhibition held in Epernay.
The prize includes one return economy flight, transfers to and from Reims/Epernay, accommodation from 14th-19th of October, 2019 and site visits provided by Grapeworks and affiliates.
ENTRIES FOR THE 2019 AUSTRALIAN SPARKLING WINE SHOW ARE NOW OPEN:
- Please direct any expressions of interest to email@example.com.
- All entries are to be made via ShowRunner https://wineshow.awri.com.au/2019-australian-sparkling-wine-show
Sign up to our e-newsletter to receive updates.
- Entries Open: 24th June 2019
- Entries Close: 5th August 2019
- Delivery of Entries: by 12th August 2019
- Judging: 19th-20th August 2019
- Trophy Presentation & Exhibitor/Trade Tasting: 12.30-3pm (Trophy Presentation at 1pm) Thursday 22nd August 2019 – Cumulus Up, 45 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
- Extended Yeast Age: Sparkling White and Rose, bottle fermented, Classic varieties, >60 months tirage age
- Sparkling White, Classic varieties, bottle fermented 24-60 months tirage age
- Sparkling White, Classic varieties bottle fermented <24 months tirage age
- Sparkling Rose, Classic varieties
- Prosecco (>85% Prosecco varieties)
- Open Sparkling Class, not eligible for classes 1-5
- Sparkling Red
Please see attached for further explanations on classes 2019 Australian Sparkling Wine Show Classes
Jane Faulkner – Wine Writer, Victoria – Panel Chair
Jane Faulkner is a journalist by training and a wine writer by vocation. She contributes to numerous publications including Halliday magazine and Gourmet Traveller WINE, and is a reviewer for Australia’s leading wine guide, Halliday Wine Companion. She’s also an experienced wine judge and has chaired numerous shows. Born in Malaysia, lives in Melbourne, Jane never tires of travelling throughout the wine world including Australia for months on end in search of stories and wines from inspirational, thoughtful producers. Other than that, she drinks with gusto
Teresa Hezenroeder – Winemaker, Heggies Vineyard and Hill- Smith Family Vineyards, Senior Judge
As approachable as the wines she creates, Teresa Heuzenroeder is the award-winning winemaker of our Heggies and Hill Smith Family Vineyard wines. Teresa has an extensive scientific background, initially specialising in food and wine chemistry before entering the wine industry as a microbiologist. Her progression to winemaking was inevitable, and she now has more than 11 years of senior winemaking experience under her belt. In 2008, Teresa accepted the challenge of becoming the Hill-Smith Family Vineyards Sparkling and Chardonnay Winemaker – the role she continues to develop today
Peta Baverstock – Sparkling Winemaker, Cuveé Co Wines, Senior Judge
Peta gained a Bachelor of Agricultural Science (Oenology) from Adelaide University,
graduating in 2000.An integral member of the Constellation Wines Australia Sparkling team from 2003 for seven vintages, under the direction of Chief Sparkling Winemaker Ed Carr, which she notes has underpinned her winemaking skills and was incredibly motivating and inspiring. Upon moving to the Southeast in 2010, Peta then had an opportunity to become a Freelance Winemaker and start Cuvée Consult. Since that time, Peta has made sparkling wines for clients within the Southeast and around Australia, acclaimed trophies and was recently named in the ‘Top 50’ for the 2019 Young Gun of Wine (YGOW) competition. After being the only South Australian finalist, in the Professional section of the 2006, 2010, 2014 and 2016 Vin de Champagne Awards, Peta then decided to champion her love of this style by launching her own wine label Cuvée-Co Wines in November 2018.
Chief Steward: Glenn Thompson